Earth thought 62 of 365: Youth is self-assertion. It will give nothing up. But in mid-age, different thoughts scramble through the night, like bones. What good will I have done by being alive? Then conscience is more important than mineness. Then the I identifies with the process of life that has existed more than a billion years.
Earth thought 63 of 365: Hold both the child I love and The Long It Matters in my mind? In an unhelpful culture, one thinks of one's own with a selfish voice. The child, though, knows better. "What if the world is sick, mama? I don't want the world to be sick, mama."
Earth thought 64 of 365: It's hard to know whether ecological literacy or cultivating responsibility in students is more important to the Earthliness of our educational system, but I would side with the latter.
Earth thought 65 of 365: Individualism in the 70's made the world inside the rage. Meanwhile, around us all, industrial production spewed junk into the sky.
Earth thought 66 of 365: "All one needs is a system. Once a day, to do some small thing. Fill a glass of water from the tap. Flush it down the toilet -only that. The world would have to change." (Tarkovski, The Sacrifice). Inner work changes outer life, indirectly.
Earth thought 67 of 365: "What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality." ~Plutarch
Earth thought 68 of 365: These thoughts are a glass of rain poured down a storm drain daily. Writing should shape me, slowly, across the year. How? I catch the self drizzling down from my consumeristic culture ... and let it go.
Earth thought 69 of 365: When youth protects intrinsic value and old age sees beyond itself, the two are one.